Getting on with it

 


The duck housing is still sitting in the meadow just outside the pen it was removed from…but the process of moving it to its new destination is in hand. I am working from the new location. Back, so that the installation can be as smooth as possible. The old nursing pen inside the enclosure on the first half of Littlemeadow needs to be removed. Not a difficult task, but one which involves finding a place to put the ‘stuff’ that has been sitting on the roof. I have done that. Then I need to take the main structure down and free the nest boxes (these are staying). The old frame can be used if I have a sick or nursing bird, so that will be stored in the enclosure or the feed shed. The floor is rotten and will be burned and any plastic sheeting kept to use as shelter for plants in the growing areas.
          My polytunnels and playhouse are largely better organised and the tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers are all doing very well. I have accidentally planted some courgettes and a pumpkin in the polyhouse, but they are enjoying the heat and will be left alone.
          In the meantime I am clearing the unwanted plants from the growing areas on both parts of Littlemeadow so that plants ready to plant from the polytunnels can go in. But we are in an extreme heat wave and the ground is very dry and hard. I am watering the ground and hoping to get some vegetables in soon. New seed is on order for peas, beans, carrots and beetroot and these will be started in modules to get them growing before being planted out. This could work well in situations where you’re clearing ground on a newly acquired plot or just need to have something ready to replace a harvesting vegetable. I’m doing this because it gives me more time to prepare the soil and make sure it is well hydrated. I am buying seeds from She Grows Veg, a small company run by two delightful ladies who produce heritage open pollinated seed that is not stored long term before sale.
          It is all taking longer than I want it to. And that is because my motivation is not what it should be. Most people would ‘just get on with it’. I plan it, get excited about doing it, even get part way through achieving it…and then suddenly become so overwhelmed that I lose the push to complete it. I am taking it slowly but still moving forward and will have to be satisfied with that. But it will get done!


Comments